catastrophe is opportunity
not a trend we want to continue.
i love how this always gets presented as colleges just going off the rails on cost and choosing to gouge students. faculty numbers are down. faculty costs are down (largely b/c of the increasing move to adjuncts).
Federal and state tax cuts have consequences folks. one of them is the crumbling of state and federal support for public colleges. and rising tuition.
tuition has always been close to this amount - it’s just that most of it was covered by the state and the feds and not passed onto students. It costs money to educate people and always has. we used to choose to spread those costs out through taxes to invest in our society.
now… not so much.
state support of some flagship public universities is now as low as 10-15% of their budgets at this point.
I repeat: THERE IS NO CRISIS IN PUBLIC EDUCATION FROM K-COLLEGE that has not been created by governments cutting funding to the point that you think there is a crisis and want to pull the plug - and the fred wilsons and other investors can find ways to solve it with private solutions. I’d love to be back in a public institution… but frankly, there aren’t many where i could effectively do my work right now b/c of their budget situations. It isn’t about salary. it is about support of the research work.
pay is a huge problem. looking at both the federal minimum wage (http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm) and my school’s tuition (http://admissions.rutgers.edu/costs/tuitionandfees.aspx#1) over time i agree with the graph. hourly pay increased 40% while tuition doubled. as an hr and compensation specialist, i can confirm most pay haven’t increased much due salary freeze so it is a bad situation.
but that is in many ways a separate issue from education costs. in 1960 at one of the top public universities, michigan, state transfers paid around 80% of the per student cost and tuition about 17%. Now that is has completely flipped with tuition covering around 77% and state funding only 16%. Costs arent’ that dramatically different overall, it is just that the proportion of that cost covered by students has gone up 4 fold and the proportion covered by the state has gone down by about the same. THERE IS NO CRISIS IN EDUCATION OTHER THAN TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS AND TAX CUTS. PERIOD. FULL STOP.
Those tax cuts also have implications for those stagnated salaries you’re worried about…
you’re looking at this solely from an education standpoint, i’m looking at it from a student’s pov. also, simply stating there is a problem when students have to pay more and then earn less in the workforce.
- throughaliseyes reblogged this from fastcompany
- notquitepublic reblogged this from so-pregnable
- forsaken-amethyst likes this
- forsaken-amethyst reblogged this from caterfree10
- caterfree10 reblogged this from fororchestra
- caterfree10 likes this
- spammusubivendingmachine reblogged this from fororchestra
- have-ears reblogged this from hautepop
- sylvr3 reblogged this from fororchestra
- heavensknightofhell reblogged this from fororchestra
- gammaatsu reblogged this from fororchestra and added:
- everydayforchrist likes this
- kiwiwunderbar reblogged this from fororchestra and added:
- princeb100b100d reblogged this from agrissas
- agrissas reblogged this from voreyeur
- voreyeur reblogged this from so-pregnable
- pandaispalis reblogged this from mattlim-bago
- yukitsukihana reblogged this from kenyatta
- xtraordinarilymad reblogged this from fororchestra
- whitneyclare reblogged this from fororchestra
- amaranth13 reblogged this from fororchestra
- chocolateraine likes this
- notquitepublic likes this
- beltsquid likes this
- silverddragn reblogged this from fororchestra
- escribel likes this
- quasi-normalcy reblogged this from draikinator
- lemonlove reblogged this from fororchestra
- julesintheroughx likes this
- niggaisalone reblogged this from fororchestra
- hellhounds-and-devil-dogs reblogged this from fororchestra
- oowannaoj reblogged this from fororchestra
- oowannaoj likes this
- thillbilli reblogged this from icbt
- failure-in-absolution reblogged this from kavaeric
- failure-in-absolution likes this
- draikinator reblogged this from fororchestra
- protosaber363 reblogged this from fororchestra and added:
- mattlim-bago reblogged this from fororchestra
- dopaminemuffin likes this
- dopaminemuffin reblogged this from fororchestra
- semiautomagic likes this
- semiautomagic reblogged this from fred-wilson
- sexuallytransmittedvirginity reblogged this from kenyatta
- handmadeheritage reblogged this from belly-bits
- so-pregnable reblogged this from fororchestra
- sexuallytransmittedvirginity likes this
- fantasmagoricallyawesomesawse reblogged this from fororchestra
- fantasmagoricallyawesomesawse likes this
- kavaeric reblogged this from fororchestra